Whole and Hearty
A hearty meat-and-potatoes meal is a sure way to warm up on a cold winter night. This heart-healthy, one-dish meal is made with lean top round beef, lots of vegetables and a spicy herb mixture.
Black Skillet Beef with Greens and Red Potatoes
Recipe courtesy of the USDA
- 1 pound top round beef
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- nonstick spray
- 8 red-skinned potatoes, halved
- 3 cups onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch strips
- 2 bunches (1/2 pound each) mustard, kale or turnip greens, stems removed, coarsely torn
- Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across grain into strips 1/8-inch thick and 3 inches wide. Trim away visible fat.
- Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with spice mixture.
- Spray large, heavy skillet with nonstick spray. Heat pan over high heat.
- Add meat; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onion, broth and garlic. Cook over medium heat, covered, 20 minutes.
- Stir in carrots; lay greens over top and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in large serving bowl with crusty bread for dunking.